Hear your Warm and Fuzzy here!
I love inspirational stories from people who have achieved great things by following their dreams no matter what. Imagine what a different world it would be if there was no Walt Disney, no Star Wars, no Beethoven symphonies. These have all been created by people who faced numerous rejections yet refused to listen to the negative people who said, “you can’t”.
Wayne Gretzky – Wayne Gretzky has been quoted as saying, “It’s kind of ironic when I broke in at 17, I was told I was too small, too slow and I wouldn’t make the NHL.” He’s now recognized as one of the greatest hockey players ever.
• George Lucas – George Lucas spent four years shipping the script for Star Wars around to the various studios and racking up numerous rejections in the process. If he’d let his negative inner voice get to him he would never have ended up having the highest grossing film of all time.
• Einstein – was considered an “unteachable” fool by his early teachers.
• Michael Jordan – was cut from his high school basketball team. Michael Jordan quote, “I’ve failed over and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed.”
Beethoven – Beethoven’s music teacher told him he was a hopeless composer.
• Colonel Sanders (creator of Kentucky Fried Chicken) – was told “No” by over a thousand restaurants for more than a year while he lived in his car trying to sell his chicken recipe.
• Thomas Edison – I’m sure you’ve heard of Thomas Edison and all the inventions he created. He’s actually known as one ofthe most prolific inventors in history holding 1,093 U.S. patents as well as a lot of patents in the UK, France and Germany. When Thomas was 4 he was sent home from school with a note. The note told his mother that he was to remove his son from school because he was “too stupid to learn”. Thomas’ mother decided to teach him herself. He only had 3 months of formal schooling yet went on to create numerous inventions like the phonograph. He was also partially deaf in one ear.
• Walt Disney – was turned down by over a hundred banks when he tried to get funding to develop Disneyland. He was also fired from his job at a newspaper for “lacking ideas”. He also had several bankruptcies before he was able to develop Disneyland.
Fred Astaire – Fred Astaire kept a memo over his fireplace from an MGM testing director after his first screen test that said, “Can’t act. Slightly bald. Can dance a little.”
• Vince Lombardi – was told by an expert that he “possesses minimal football knowledge. Lacks motivation.”.
• Louisa May Alcott – author of one of my favorite books, “Little Women”, was encouraged by her family to be a servant or seamstress.
Lou Ferrigno – most well known for his role on the tv show, “The Incredible Hulk”. As a child, Lou developed an ear infection which would result in partial but permanent hearing loss. His father was very critical of and negative towards him due to his hearing disability. His father believed that he would never achieve success. Yet, he went on to become the youngest bodybuilder ever to win the Mr. Universe title at the age of 20. Lou Ferrigno quote: “If I hadn’t lost my hearing, I wouldn’t be where I am now. It forced me to maximize my potential. I had to be better than the average person to succeed. That’s why I chose bodybuilding. If I became a world champion, if I could win admiration from my peers, I could do anything.”
• Abraham Lincoln – check out all the setbacks, challenges and tragedies that Abraham Lincoln had to survive on his way to becoming president of the United States: Abraham Lincoln
• Og Mandino – is a bestselling author of inspirational books. Before he became a well known author, he was addicted to alcohol. One day, after a long night of drinking, he bought a gun from a pawnshop for $3.00. He thought this might be the way to end all of his problems but he couldn’t bring himself to pull the trigger. He wandered aimlessly for awhile before he ended up in a library. There he decided to transform himself and managed to completely change his life. From being able to change his own life he has gone on to help many others.
Life is going to find way to test you. At times, you may feel that life is unfair. The urge to quit during these times are the highest but don’t give in. Whatever your dream is, if it’s important to you, then fight for it. Satchel Paige once said, “Never let your head hang down. Never give up or sit down and grieve. Find another way.”
Author UnknownShare on Facebook